Ram setu bridge start from the Dhanuskodi tip of india’s pamban island and ends at srilankan mannar island.
Initially the bridge was originally called as Nala sethu, later the people out of their admiration of rama is called as Rama setu. This ram setu is used as walking bridge several years ago, due to global warming the bridge was dipped inside the sea.
The construction of ram setu is described in chapter titled “Yudha Kanda” of ramayanam.
According to Hindu legend, the bridge was built to transport Rama, hero of the Ramayana, to the island to rescue his wife Sita from the demon king Ravana.
Construction Of Ram Setu :
- Rama planned to build the bridge to rescue his wife so he assigned Nala (monkey) as an engineer to construct the bridge.
- As mentioned in the ramayanam book the length of the bridge is measured as 100 yojana and the width is 10 yojana in the ratio of 1:10.
- Now the ram setu measured as 35 km of length and 3.5 km of width this is also in the ration of 1:10. A yojana is a verdict measure of distance that was used an ancient India.
- The Nala and his team took 5 days to complete the construction work of Ram setu.
- Nala and team brought elephant sized rocks and transported by mechanical contrivances and all types of trees like Sala, Asvakarma, Dhava, and bamboo, kutaja, Arjuna, Palmyra, Tilaka, Bilva, Saptaparna and karnika.
- First they filed all types of tress on the sea bed and they put rocks above the tree and finally they got flat level.
- They make the bridge in a linear alignment not randomly thrown of wood and rocks, it’s a well-planned effort.
- Due to the passage of several years the sand is accumulated in the structure.
Day wise bridge construction details,
Day 1 = 14 yojana
Day2 =20 yojana
Day3 =21 yojana
Day4 =22 yojana
Day5 =23 yojana
Floating Stone :
- In Ramayan it is mentioned that the bridge was built by Stones and these stone starts Floating on water by touch of Nala & Neel.
- The stones were scattered at Rameswaram during the Tsunami ,these stones still float on water.
- Many Geologist says RAMA Setu is built by natural process but failed to Provide enough proofs.
- Apart from Ramayana there are several facts which say Rama Setu is Man-made Structure.
- Ram Setu was walkable till 1480 AD. NASA Says what had been captured by satellite is naturally occurring chain of sandbanks (Source).