- The Kaveri known as Cauvery in English is an Indian river.
- Kaveri river is as considered as one of the largest rivers in South India.
- It is estimated that kaveri river spread over 81,155 km2 which is about 2.7% of the total geographical area of the country.
- Kaveri river originates from Talakaveri, Karnataka and ends in Poompuhar, Tamilnadu.
- Kaveri rises at an elevation of 1,341 m at Talakaveri.
- Kaveri river basin covers 4 states including Karnataka (43,000 km2), Tamilnadu (34,200km2), Kerala (3,000 km2) and Podicherry (160 km2).
- River Kaveri is listed one of the longest rivers in India.
- Kaveri is one of the popular sacred river for Hindus.
- 50% of Tamil agriculture lands depend only on Kaveri and its tributes. Considered as lifeline for millions of Tamil peoples.
- Krishna Raja Sagara Dam, Mettur Dam, Gorur dam, Harangi dam, Kabini dam, Amaravati dam and Banasura Sagar are the Dams lies across kaveri.
- Krishna Raja Sagara Dam considered as the Largest dam in Kaveri river, located in Karnataka.
- Kaveri has many popular tributes named Harangi, Hemavati, Kabini, Bhavani, Arkavathy, Lakshmanana Tirtha, Noyyal and Amaravati.
- Total length of kaveri is 800 km and enters in Bay of Bengal.
- Tamil people consider this as River God and praise them by Aadi Perukku where Cauvery is celebrated with offerings.
- River Kaveri is popular religious spot for Hindus, some important spots are Talakad, Srirangapatna, Bhavani, Tirumakudal Narasipur, Musiri, Kodumudi, Tiruchirappalli, Kulithalai, Thiruvaiyaru, Srirangam, Swamimalai, Thirukattupalli, Mayavaram, Kumbakonam, Poompuhar.
- 54 % (44,016 km2) of Basin ares lies on Tamilnadu.
- Kaveri River splits into two places in Karnataka. One at Shivanasamudra, Kaveri plunges as Gagana Chukki and Bara Chukki Falls and creates the island of Srirangapatna near Mysore. Another one island is Srirangam in Tamilnadu.
Kaveri River Facts – Hogenakal falls :
- Cauvery river makes beautiful waterfall on the Karnataka – Tamil Nadu border called Hogenakal Falls.
- Hogenakal Falls considered as “Niagara of India”.
- Hogenakal Falls is located in the Dharmapuri, Tamilnadu lies on the Cauvery River.
- Its cloud of mist and spray and it will be an amazing feel to have it.
- Hogenakal Falls is one of the beautiful tourist attractions in Tamilnadu.
Quick Kaveri River Facts :
|States||Karnataka, Tamilnadu, Kerala, Podicherry|
|Branches||Harangi, Hemavati, Kabini, Bhavani, Arkavathy, Lakshmanana Tirtha, Noyyal and Amaravati|
|City||Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Tezpur|
|Elevation||1,341 m (17,093 ft)|
|Discharge||Bay of Bengal,677 m3/s|
See More Facts..
- Interesting Kaveri river facts and Information
- Top 20 Longest Rivers in India
- Narmada River facts
- Facts about the Ganges River
- Brahmaputra River Facts and Information
Interesting Kaveri river facts and Information