- Idukki Dam, located in Kerala, India.
- It is a small hill town surrounded by a spread of beautiful, wooden valleys and meandering streams.
- This place is well known tourist place in Kerala. Located in a beautiful Forest surrounding.
- The dam, stands between Kurathimala(925 m) and Kuravanmala (840m) mountains.
The idukki dam is 170m tall and 366 m in width arch shaped dam.
- The dam generates about 780MW power supply through hydroelectric power station.
- It built across Periyar Dam.
- It is one of the highest arch dams in Asia.
- Idukki dam listed in the top 5 biggest dams in India.
- The Dam opened in 1976 and it took nearly 22 million man days to complete this project.
- Technically, the dam type is a concrete double, curvature parabolic, thin arc dam.
Things along with Idukki Dam :
- The main focus of constructing a dam at Idukki for Power Generation.
- The Idukki Wildlife Sanctuary extends over the Thodupuzha and Udumbanchola taluks of Idukki district.
- Wildlife Sanctuary spread over 77 km2 and is about 450 – 748 m above sea level.
- The Idukki Reservoir formed by three dams – Cheruthoni, Idukki and Kulamavu – extends to 33 sq.km.
- Idukki is homeshelter for Elephants, bisons, sambars deers, jungle cats, tigers, wild boars etc.
- Variety of Snakes like Cobra, viper, krait and a number of non poisonous snakes in this Sanctuary.
- The variety of birds of Idukki is Jungle fowl, myna, laughing thrush, black bulbul, peafowl, woodpecker, kingfisher etc
Idukki Anchuruli tunnel :
- Anchuruli is a big 4 kilometer circular tunnel constructed during construction of Idukki dam.
- This underground tunnel is connecting channel of Erattayar dam to the Idukki reservoir.
- We can reach this beautiful spot in summer season or the flow of the water is not so strong.
- It is located at 10kms from Katapana and can reach by road.
- Be very cautious about unexpected birds and slippery rocks while walking inside the tunnel.
Idukki Dam construction and facts