Raja Raja Chola 1 considered as the greatest king of the Chola Empire by many, ruled between 985 and 1014 C.E. Under Raja Raja Chola 1, the Cholan empire conquired entire south India and enlarged upto Srilanka. Expanded as far as Sri Lanka in the south, and Kalinga (Orissa) in the northeast. He was honored as “King of Kings”.
Table of Contents
Raja Raja Solan I Territories:
|Other Name||King of Kings,|
|Reign||985 C.E. – 1014 C.E|
|Relion and Belief||Hinduism|
|Queens||Lokamahadevi, Cholamahadevi, Trailokyamahadevi, Panchavanmahadevi, Abhimanavalli, Iladamadeviyar, Prithivimahadevi|
|Children||Rajendra Chola I, Kundavai, Madevadigal|
|Successor||Rajendra Chola I|
|Success in War’s||Pandyas, Bellary, Eastern Mysore, Tadigaipadi, Vengi, Kalinga, Chalukya|
|Ruled Area||Entire South India, Extendted to Sri Lanka, and Kalinga (Orissa) in the northeast|
|Arts and Creations||Thanjavur Temple|
As a King:
- Conquered the kingdoms of southern India and Sri Lanka in the extreme south, and Kalinga (Orissa) in the northeast.
- Fought many battles with the Chalukyas in the north and the Pandyas in the south.
- By conquering Vengi, Rajaraja laid the foundations for the Chalukya Chola dynasty.
- Conquired Sri Lanka and started a century-long Chola occupation of the island.
- He built the spectacular Siva temple in Thanjavur, also known as Rajarajeswaram, Brihadeeswarar Temple.
- It is one of the largest temples in India and one of India’s most prized architectural sites. Built by emperor Raja Raja Chola I.
- The temple is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site known as the “Great Living Chola Temples”.
- There is a big statue of Nandi (sacred bull), carved out of a single rock, at the entrance measuring about 16 feet long and 13 feet high.
- The entire temple structure is made out of granite.
As the Result:
His conquests within 14 years of his reign, bringing the Pandyas, Bellary, Eastern Mysore, Tadigaipadi, Vengi, and Coorg under his possession.
Interesting Facts about Raja Raja Solan I:
- Interesting Facts about Raja Raja Solan I is the world’s famous “The Great Living Temple” known as Thanjavur Brihadeeswarar Temple built by him.