Table of Contents
Quick Facts :
- Height – 324 metres (1063 feet).
- It’s base is square – 125 metres(410 feet) on each side.
- Eiffel tower is second tallest structure in France after the Millau Viaduct.
- It is became the tallest man-made structure in the world.
- Eiffel tower is a wrought iron lattice tower placed in Champ de Mars in Paris.
- Construction of the Eiffel Tower cost 7,799,401.31 French gold francs in 1889.
- The Eiffel Tower weighs 10,000 tons.
- There are 5 billion lights on the Eiffel Tower.
- The French have a nickname for the tower: La Dame de Fer, “the Iron Lady.”
- One elevator travels a total distance of 64,001 miles (103,000 kilometers) a year.
- It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel whose company designed and built the tower.
The tower has three levels for visitors. There are restaurants in first and second levels for visitors. Top level’s upper platform is 276 m above the ground. We need to climb over 300 steps to go first level from ground level. Similar like this, we need to climb over 300 steps to go second level.
The tower has two restaurants: Le 58 Tour Eiffel on the first level, and Le Jules Verne, a gourmet restaurant with its own lift on the second level. This restaurant has one star in the Michelin Red Guide. It is run by the multi-Michelin star chef Alain Ducasse and owes its name to the famous science-fiction writer Jules Verne.
Eiffel Tower Popularity:
The tower structured with three levels for visitors. The levels are covered with restaurants in first and second levels for visitors. The upper platform is 276m above the ground. We need to climb over 300 steps to go first level from ground level. Similar like this, we need to climb over 300 steps to go second level.
The effiel tower has two restaurants named Le 58 Tour Eiffel on the first level, and Le Jules Verne, a gourmet restaurant at second level. It is run by the multi-Michelin star chef Alain Ducasse, a famous science-fiction writer Jules Verne.
Eiffel tower facts – Tower Maintenance:
It is estimated that more than 500 million people have visited the tower since it was completed in 1889. Every year it hold 5 million visitors. Interesting fact is that this tower is the most-visited paid monument in the world. An average of 30,000 people getting into the tower every day which can result in long queues. Tickets can be purchased online as well to avoid the long queues.
The tower includes applying 60 tons of paint as maintenance. This usually happens for every seven years to prevent it from rusting. The tower has been completely repainted about 19 times since it was built. Very environment concerned paint was still being since 2001.
Eiffel Tower History:
It is constructed in 1889 as the entrance to the 1889 World’s Fair.
General view of world fair is given below for your reference
In World War I The French military used this tower for communication with ships in the Atlantic Ocean and intercept enemy messages.
More than 120 antennas there in this tower to broadcast both radio and television signals throughout the city.