- Benefit of marsh ecosystem to environment is just because its home-shelter for plenty of species and plants.
- It usually found at edge of lakes, River basin and wet areas.
- Marsh land is to save environment and Ground Water.
- A marsh is a wetland that is dominated byherbaceous rather than woody plant species.
Table of Contents
- Marshes provide habitats for many kinds of invertebrates, fish, amphibians, waterfowl and aquatic mammals.
- wetland plant species formed by grasses, rushes or reeds.
- Marshes provide a habitat for many species of plants, animals, and insects that have adapted to living in flooded conditions and the plants which survive in wet mud with low oxygen levels.
- Aquatic animals, fish to salamanders, are generally able to live with a low amount of oxygen in the water.
- Some can obtain oxygen from the air instead, while others can live indefinitely in conditions of low oxygen.
Types of wetlands:
- The three main types of marsh are salt marshes, freshwater tidal marshes, and freshwater marshes.
- These three can be found worldwide and each contains a different set of organisms.
List of wetlands (Source) :
- Pantanal – Brazil
- Camargue – France
- Wasur National Park – Indonesia
- Kakadu Wetlands – Australia
- Kerala Backwaters – India
- Okavango – Botswana
- Kafue – Zambia
- Everglades – USA
- Lower Danube and Danube Delta – Bulgaria, Moldova, Romania, Serbia and Ukraine
- Sundarbans – Bangladesh
Benefit of marsh ecosystem to environment and to humans:
- Marshes also improve water quality by acting as a sink to filter pollutantsand sediment from the water that flows through them.
- Marshes and other wetlands are able to absorb water during periods of heavy rainfall and slowly release it into waterways and therefore reduce the magnitude of flooding.
- The pH in marshes tends to be neutral.
why it is important to protect wetlands:
- Wetlands are areas of land where the water level remains near or above the surface of the ground for most of the year.
- Wetlands cover about 8% of the earth’s land surface.
- Marshland are several kinds of wetlands such as marshes, swamps, lagoons, bogs, fens and mangroves.
- Marshland is home to some of the richest, most diverse and fragile of natural resources.
- Marshland support plenty of plants and animals life, biologically they are one of the most productive ecosystems.
Benefit of marsh ecosystem to environment