Table of Contents
Overview about Kutralam falls :
- Also known as Herbal hill.
- Situated at Kutralam , Tirunelveli district, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Total height is 167 m (548 ft).
- The Watercourse of Kutralam falls is Chittar River.
- An interesting holiday spot in South India.
Why Kutralam :
- Kutralam is essentially a place for rest and relaxation.
- Over 2000 types of flowers and plants have been identified in these hills.
- It is very safer to drink a few mouthfuls of the water while bathing as the water.
- The water is said to heal all digestive and urinary problems.
- The water flows through rocks with sculptures of Shiva Lingams and other Gods, making a bath in the falls truly a divine experience.
- Studies prove that the water of these falls have herbal properties which will heal several diseases.
- Betel Nuts, Pure Honey, jackfruit, Rangosteen, Mountain banana, Dorian, Mangosteen, Custard Apple, Guava, Chikku, Mango and Gooseberries are a few of the fruits that grow on the hills of Kutralam.
- Several rare herbs are also grown on farms in the hills.
Attractions at Kutralam falls :
- There are 8 various falls.
- Easily accessable falls are Main falls, five falls, old falls.
- Other falls includes tiger falls , sitraruvi , senbagavei , Honey , pazhathottam, These falls are restricted by the Government to visit.
1. Main Falls – Peraruvi :
- Kutralam Main Falls is the biggest waterfall in all of Kutralam.
- The height is about 60m in height.
- The flow of the water is interrupted by a natural crater, it reduce the speed of the water and making it safe for bathing.
- The waterfall is so huge that nearly 200 to 300 people can bathe simultaneously.
2. Aiyntharuvi – Five Falls :
- It is the most popular waterfall in Kutralam as it is delicate and suitable for people of all ages to bath.
- From a bird’s eye view, the waterfall looks like the five headed mythical serpent, Adhisesha.
- The water flows down five different branches and joins together in a single stream as it flows downhill.
- Of the five branches flow, two are dedicated for women to bathe while three are for men.
3. Pazhaya Courtalla Aruvi – Old Kutralam Falls :
- Also known as Shivamathungai Falls, it is located at a distance of 5 km from the Main Falls.
- This waterfall used to flow into a valley formed between two huge rocks.
- It flows from a height of 200 feet and steps are cut into the rocks to reduce the impact of the water.
- This makes it safe for bathing and there are separate areas for men and women.
- Oil massage available near to falls.
4. Kannupuli Mettu :
- Located 20 km from Kutralam.
- Gundaru Dam, Enjoy the huge expanse of water stored in the reservoir of the dam is a breathtaking sight.
- Public accesable falls and private falls are available here.
- These falls are not like Kutralam falls, but which have distinct feature which makes us happy.
- We can ejoy the zeep safri rides to access the private falls.
5. Kumbavuruti Aruvi – Kumbavuruti Falls :
- This waterfall is located at a distance of 32 kms from Kutralam. on the way to Achan Koil in Kerala near Sengottai.
- It is situated above hills.
- Either we need to Zeep or Safari, due to road condition on the Hills.
- On travelling through winding hairpin bends and through dense forests, you can feel the pleasure before reaching waterfall.
- Kumbavuruti Falls has unique sign among all, bathing and swimming allowed here.
So How and when to Reach:
- Plan for 3-5 days, You can enjoy those five days here with full of enjoyment.
- Best time to visit coutalam is from Jun to Dec.
- Nearest railway station is Tenkasi.(5 km)
- Nearest airport is Tuticorin (100 km).
- Nearest bus stand, Courtalam and Senkottai.
What can i do other than Kutralam Waterfalls :
Are you hungry, Kutralam brings you a new taste, Dont forget to have below items at courtalam.
- Periya lala kadai
- The Border Kadai
- Vinayaga Dosa Kadai
Famous Temples Near Kutralam :
Kutralam also famous for Devotiees, Many famous temples are easily accessable from here,
- Kutraleswarar temple – Near main falls, Best time to visit in early morning.
- Tirumalai kovil – Located in Hill
- Tenkasi kasi visvanathar temple – Best time to visit in evening.
- Achankovil temple – 30km from Courtalam, On the way enjoy the beautiful natural scenaries.
- Kasi Viswanthar Temple at Tenkasi, 6 kms away from Kutralam
- Thirumalai Temple at Panpoli, 8 kms away from Kutralam
- Kumaran Temple at Ilanji, 3 kms away from Kutralam
- Dakshinamoorthy Temple at Puliyarai, 12kms west of Kutralam
- Ulagaambihai and Lord Shiva Temple at Papanasam, 35kms to the Southeast of Kutralam
- Ariyankavu Aiyappan Temple, 35 kms to the Northwest of Kutralam
- Sri siddheswari peetham.
Other Famous Tourist Spots :
Are you planning for more days to enjoy, Here we go nearest best attractions.
- Papanasam River at a distance of 35 kms from Kutralam.
- Agasthiyar Falls located near Papanasam.
- Lower Papanasam Dam, the upper Papanasam (Kaaraiyar) Dam, Servalar Dam.
- Manimuthar Dam and Falls. You will get exited here !!.
- Kalakaddu – Mundanthurai Tiger Sanctuary near Papanasam
- The tea estates and other plantations at Maanjolai, Manimutharu and Oothu.
These places needs to be reached only in season time Jun to Dec, If you want a great feel.
So plan a trip to Kutralam and enjoy a refreshing bath in magnificent waterfalls.
Amazing facts about Kutralam falls :
- Kutralam waterfalls is the best waterfall in Tamilnadu.