1. Around 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by oceans.
2. The world’s oceans contain enough water to fill a cube with edges over 1000 kilometers (621 miles) in length.
3. Ocean tides are caused by the Earth rotating while the Moon and Sun’s gravitational pull acts on ocean water.
4. Humans identified only 1% of ocean ecosystem, Millions of marine life forms that are yet to be discovered.
5. The largest ocean on Earth is the Pacific Ocean, it covers 30% of the Earth’s surface.
6. Mariana Trench is the deepest known area of Earth’s oceans. It has a deepest point of around 11000 meters (36000 feet).
7. Pacific Ocean contains around 25000 different islands, Which has the highest islands in counts when comparing with others oceans.
8. The second largest ocean on Earth is the Atlantic Ocean, it covers over 21% of the Earth’s surface.
9. The third largest ocean on Earth is the Indian Ocean, it covers around 14% of the Earth’s surface.
10. Bermuda Triangle is located in the Atlantic Ocean, Which has many mysteries in it.
11. The Bermuda Triangle has as many ship and plane disappearances as any other region of the ocean.
12. During winter time the Arctic Ocean is almost completely covered in sea ice.
13. In Newfoundland, Canada, the Atlantic Ocean sometimes freezes so people play hockey on it.
14. The longest mountain range in the world named “Mid-Oceanic Ridge” is found under water. It is a mountain chain spreading over 56,000km.
15. Wonderful fact is about 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by the oceans.
16. The sea is home to the world’s largest living structure – the Great Barrier Reef Located in Australia. It is spread over 2,600km, it can even be seen from the Moon.
17. We have only explored about 5% of the world’s oceans. There’s a lot more to be discovered.
18. The average ocean depth is 2.5 miles (4 km).
19. 14 billion pounds (6 Billion Kg.) of garbage are dumped into the ocean every year. Most of it is plastic. This is 1/3 weights of all fishes.
20. The world’s oceans contain nearly 25 million tons of gold, which is enough to provide 4kg gold to everyone around the world.
21. At the ocean’s deepest point, the water pressure is the equivalent of having 50 jumbo jets piled on top of you.
22. More than 10,000 shipping containers are lost at sea each year and 10% of those hold toxic chemicals.
23. There’s an ongoing decrease in the pH of the Earth’s oceans: they are 30% more acidic than in 1751, Which is negative sign for human kind.
24. It’s okay to pee in the ocean since 95% of urine is water and the nitrogen in urea is used to feed ocean plants, So be happy.
25. About 90% of the world’s earthquakes occur along the Ring of Fire, an area in the basin of the Pacific Ocean.
26. Australia uses the motion of the ocean to generate zero-emission electricity and desalinate water simultaneously.
27. The world’s largest underwater volcano, Tamu Massif, is the size of New Mexico.
28. Jellyfish are the ocean’s most efficient swimmers, consuming 48% less oxygen than any other swimming animal.
29. The area that is now the Mediterranean Sea was once dry, but about 5 million years ago the Atlantic Ocean poured through the Strait of Gibraltar at a rate 1000 times that of the Amazon, filling the Mediterranean Sea in about 2 years.
30. Heracleion, an ancient Egyptian city that was swallowed by the Mediterranean Sea about 1,200 years ago, was discovered in 2000 and has been the site of an underwater excavation.
31. Every year Finland gets about 6 square km bigger because it is rebounding from the weight of ice age glaciers and rising out of the sea.
32. Baltic sea doesn’t mix with the North Sea due to the difference of the density.
33. Great White Sharks congregate in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in an area known as the White Shark Cafe.
34. The area has very little food for the animals; researchers describe it as the shark equivalent of a desert. The reasons for this behavior have not yet been identified.
35. If the Earth stopped spinning, the oceans would migrate to the poles, creating one equatorial mega-continent and two polar oceans, submerging nearly all of the northern U.S., Europe, Canada and Russia.
36. We have more detailed maps of the surface of Mars than we do of Earth’s oceans, its not easy to find the fact of oceans.
37. The United Nations estimates that there are more than 3 million shipwrecks on the ocean floor.
38. Due to climate change, the island nation of Kiribati is rapidly sinking into the ocean. The Government has already started buying land in other countries for its people, and is urging citizens to evacuate.
39. There is a huge underground ocean underneath the continent of Asia the size of the Arctic Ocean, but is all locked up inside rocks.
40. The Pacific Ocean at its widest point is more than five times the diameter of the moon.
41. Large number of active volcanoes found in Pacific Ocean known as Pacific Ring of Fire.
42. 40% of the world oceans are heavily affected by human activities, including pollution, depleted fisheries, and loss of coastal habitats, is not a good sign.
References: