Table of Contents
Overview of Glacier bay:
- Glacier bay Located at Alaska, USA.
- It spread over 3,280,198 acres.
- The Bay National Park and Preserve occupies the northernmost section of the southeastern Alaska coastline, between the Gulf of Alaska and Canada.
- The park’s tallest peak at 15,300 feet (4,700 m).
- The park received an average of about 470,000 recreational visitors annually from 2007 to 2016. Impressive !!.
- It is estimated as before 10,000 years this place was occupied by human.
- This National Park has the only glacier in the US continental that flows directly into the Pacific Ocean.
- As marine waters make up nearly one-fifth of the park.
Environment at Glacier bay :
- The Park is named for its abundant tidewater and terrestrial glaciers, total counted 1,045.
- There are seven tidewater glaciers in the park: Margerie Glacier,McBride Glacier, Grand Pacific Glacier,
- Lamplugh Glacier, Johns Hopkins Glacier, Gilman Glacier, and LaPerouse Glacier.
- On 1916 the Grand Pacific Glacier was at the head of Tarr Inlet about 65 miles (105 km) from Glacier Bay’s mouth. This is the fastest documented glacier retreat.
- At peak time, About 1,500 m thick sheet of ice covered the area of southern Alaska.
- 90% of visitors to Glacier arrive on cruise ships.
Living Species at Glacier Bay :
- This park is rich with marine life it has distinct species..
- Other mammals including orcas, Stellar sea lions, harbor seals, sea otters and porpoises.
- This place is homeshelter for large glacier bears
- Various Moose, wolves, Sitka blacktail deer, mountain goats and bald eagle also thrive in the park.
Humpback Whale :
- Humpback Whale, largest animal in Glacier and its from Whale kind which is the Largest Mammal on Earth.
- The Humpback Whale from Glacier bay used to grow about 16 m in length.
- The total weight of this mammal is impressively about 35 tons.
- This animal is listed in endangered species list.
- Seeing a humpback whale in Glacier Bay is an unforgettable experience for many visitors.
Things to Do in Glacier Bay :
- Alaska contains largest national park, highest peak, longest coastline, biggest state, longest day and night.
- People can enjoy wild adventure, environment history, people culture, fishing, hiking, skiing, wildlife scenaries and watching and beautiful scenaries.
- Fishing at park will be an amazing for tourist visitors.
- This place gives you all best features. So what else a human expect in his life to do ?.
Major attractions at Glacier Bay :
- Some of the Beautiful attractions that you should not missed at Glacier Bay.
- Going-to-the-Sun Road, Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake Trail, Highline Trail are major attractions.
- Lake attractions including valanche Lake, Lake McDonald, Swiftcurrent Lake, St. Mary Lake
- Some of the amazing Water falls are Virginia Falls, Running Eagle Falls, St. Mary Falls, Baring Falls.
- The National Park Service arranges cooperative programs to provide interpretive services aboard the ships and boats that offer excursion trips to park places.
Designations for Glacier Bay:
- The Glacier Bay National Park was added in 1992 to the Heritage Site.
- Encircling the park to the west is the Fairweather Range, the highest coastal mountains in the world at 15,000 feet.
30 Interesting Facts about Glacier Bay National Park